30 New Years Resolutions (That You Could Actually Finish)
We have all been there…. “This year I am going to lose 50 pounds!” Then at the end of the year you are depressed because you only lost 10. “I’m going to read the whole Bible!” Then you get upset with yourself because you only read half of it. “I’m going to be able to run 5 miles without stopping by the end of the year!” Then you get discouraged when you can only run 2 miles. Maybe it’s time you set a new year’s resolution that is more realistic!
I am going to use my husband as an example. He likes to set big new year’s resolutions! My husband owns a YouTube channel with thousands of subscribers. One year, he decided that he was going to get 100,000 subscribers by the end of the year. While it seemed like a good goal then, by the end of the year he felt terrible about himself because he didn’t reach that goal. As you can tell, my amazing husband is a visionary. He had a great goal in mind but it was not realistic. He would have had to have worked full time on YouTube while still being a college student and working another part time job. With those circumstances, It just wasn’t possible! Don’t get me wrong, I think he could have done it, he just didn’t have the time.
The goals I am about to list are ones that you can take baby steps with or simple ones that are easy to accomplish. If you want to lose 20 pounds in a year, you must first learn how to eat better and exercise. You can’t just get on a treadmill one day and lose it all! Or if your goal is to read the Bible in a year but you have failed before, maybe do a reading plan where you read half the Bible in a year. Realize what you are able to accomplish and set a reasonable goal!
- Read half the Bible in a year
- If you are a good reader and have the time, read the Bible in a year!
- Lose 20 pounds
- Do yoga every other day (Start out with doing it once a week then build up.)
- Take a walk with your husband at least once a week
- Learn how to cook healthy meals for your family (Learn one recipe at a time.)
- Cut out half the sugar you eat (Start out slow! Maybe stop drinking pop and drink plain tea instead.)
- Learn about herbal healing
- Stock a natural medicine cabinet
- Learn how to play a new instrument (Don’t try to be a master at it.)
- Run 2 miles without stopping
- Learn a new hobby or skill
- Read a book
- Learn how to earn money from home (Don’t shoot for getting a huge income with six figures! Keep is small. Maybe 200 a month?)
- Start a savings account and save up $500
- Save money for something you need (Like a table, or laptop. Then you can reward yourself by buying that thing at the end of the year!)
- Start a small business
- Stop a sin habit (Replace bad things with good things. Instead of sinning, read God’s Word.)
- Write a small book
- Write a song for your husband
- Start a blog (Trust me, I started out slow with this blog!)
- Spend 30 minutes a day talking intentionally with your husband
- Pray for 15 minutes before you start your day
- Do something for your community (Volunteer at a homeless shelter!)
- Read your Bible for 15 minutes every day (Start out with 5, then 10, then 15.)
- Go gluten free (First cut out bread, then noodles and go on from there.)
- Make a new friend
- Go to church once a week
- Do something you always wanted to do (Go skydiving, ride a bike, go on a train, etc.)
- Change someone’s life (Tell someone about Christ!)
I hope you were able to pick a few new year’s resolutions from this list. Don’t pick more than two resolutions! Focus on small goals. Keep in mind that your husband must approve of these goals. If he doesn’t like it, don’t do it!
Good luck my friend! Let me know what resolutions you picked and your progress on them!
“And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.”
– Colossians 3:23-24