My Favorite Essential Oils and Their Uses
Essential oils are an essential (haha… get it?) part of an all natural medicine cabinet. I will be completely honest with you, I am a newbie when it comes to essential oils and natural medicine but I am learning quickly and I want to share my findings with you.
I have been leaning more about natural medicine since being diagnosed with Lyme disease. I had been sick for many years so the diagnosis was no surprise. When I started antibiotics I had no idea how hard it was going to be. The medicine made me very sick when I first started out (and still makes me feel pretty yucky.) I have been on antibiotics for almost a year now. My husband has also been getting treated for Lyme for over a year. Antibiotics are wonderful when you have a deadly disease to cure but since we have already been treated for so long and have gotten a little better, we are ready to take a more natural approach and protect our bodies from the harmful effects of long term antibiotics.
God gave us herbs so that we could heal ourselves. He seriously made an herb for everything. There are herbs to help with the flu, giving birth, everyday aches and pains, and more! Just by Him giving us these wonderful plants shows us some of His grace. What is great is that we have learned how to take these herbs and make oils out of them to make them more convenient to use and more effective!
I am not going to go into detail here with what you can do with these oils (like recipes for deodorant or how to make toothpaste) but hopefully this will give you a basic understanding of how you can use these oils.
Lemon not only smells yummy and refreshing but it has a crazy amount of health benefits. You can even make your own natural all purpose cleaner with it by mixing about 20 drops with 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of water (you can also mix in other oils like eucalyptus). Lemon essential oils are great for many reasons.
- Lemon has antibacterial properties (which is why it is great for cleaning)
- Having a down day? Diffuse lemon in your home or put a drop behind your ear to add a perk in your step!
- It can calm the stomach and relieve nausea
- You can add a fresh sent to your laundry by putting a few drops in your washing machine
- It promotes weight loss
- It is packed with vitamin C
- And more!!
I do not sleep easily and I feel like I am constantly stressed. I have been diffusing this oil when my husband and I go to sleep and it has been helping me calm down after the long day, fall asleep fast, and stay asleep! I love the smell of this oil and all the benefits it has.
- Uplifts mood
- Can be used as a bug repellent when going outside
- Help relieve stress headaches
- Helps sore, tight muscles
- Respiratory problems
- Blood circulation
- And more!!
Ahhh peppermint. My favorite! I love this oil and use it all the time. When I get a headache, I mix peppermint oil with coconut oil and rub it on my neck and temples to help with muscle tension and to zap the headache away! Even the smell alone is enough to help soothe a headache and even nausea. If this isn’t enough, peppermint has other health benefits as well!
- Helps soothe sore muscles (it even helps with cramps!)
- It can help almost any stomach problem including diarrhea and IBS
- Reduce inflammation
- Joint pain
- Mosquito repellent
- Spider repellent (I mix peppermint oil with water and spray it all around my house to keep spiders away)
- And more!!
Before I knew much about essential oils, I used tea tree oil on my acne. I’m sure the oils I had were not very good ones (as my mom picked a bottle up from walmart) but it actually helped! I just dabbed a little on my face and it would help redness and dry up those annoying zits! Tea tree oil is known for skin benefits and is helpful in many ways.
- As a makeup remover (dilute it first)
- Soften cuticles
- Helps with fungus
- Yeast infections
- Chicken pox
- Removes mold
- You can use it to make a wonderful deodorant
- It has even been known to have anti-cancer properties
- And more!!
I have not yet experienced the awesomeness of eucalyptus essential oils but I received it as a gift and hope to use it soon. The benefits for this oil is almost endless.
- Decongestant (Use it as a vapor rub or put it in the bath to clear up nasal passages)
- It can help uplift your mood
- It can help heal wounds like cuts or burns
- Reduce fevers by spraying over body with peppermint oil
- Gargle it to help with sore throat
- Great to use in homemade mouthwash and toothpaste because of its germicidal properties
- Natural cleaner
- And more!!
Obviously I did not list all of the benefits to each oil (as this post would get very long) but just some of the benefits. These oils are ones I have used or am going to use in the near future. There are so many more oils I would love to try out that have tons of health benefits. With a small budget it’s hard to get money to buy more herbs and oils, but as I learn I will be updating this list! If you have any questions feel free to let me know by emailing me here.
*Note: I am not a doctor and these facts are what I have found from my own research and study. I am not a genius in this field and may have made some mistakes so please do more research on these oils before you start using them.